Subject: Landing pages for lists have changed

From: Selena Deckelmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 00:46:49 -0700

Hello!

http://www.postgresql.org/list/ etc.

... appears to have lost the header information that includes the
information about how to subscribe to a (or more than one) list.

http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/ (which directs one to
http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/subscribe/)

... is still ok.

Can we resurrect the information that used to be at the start of the
archive pages for mailing lists?

Thanks to Paul (cc'd) for pointing this out.

-selena

-- 
http://chesnok.com

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 11:17:40 +0100

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Selena Deckelmann <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Can we resurrect the information that used to be at the start of the archive
> pages for mailing lists?

Yeah, I think this is more or less the same thing Bruce pointed out to
me a while ago, but I haven't gotten around to yet..

Perhaps we should just make /list/ a redirect to /community/lists/?

-- 
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

-- 
Sent via pgsql-www mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-www

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 10:12:15 -0300

> Perhaps we should just make /list/ a redirect to /community/lists/?

... and add a search box at the top of that one?  No objection here.
(I assume the redirect is just for ^/list/$)

-- 
Álvaro Herrera                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services

---

From: Selena Deckelmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 13:40:10 -0700

> (I assume the redirect is just for ^/list/$)

Sure, and we need something at the header bits for each list archive.

It's confusing to just be dumped into the index page without any context (I
realize the URL says 'archive'.. but it's not friendly).

-selena

-- 
http://chesnok.com

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 08:38:17 +0100

> Sure, and we need something at the header bits for each list archive.

The point of the redirect would be that we only have one page.. If we
have two pages that show *almost* the same data, that seems like
setting ourselves up for having a similar problem in the future.

FWIW, the reason this is obvious now is that they're both rendered on
the same site. It used to be that one of the pages were in the
archives and one on the main site (and also looked differently - but
that's why it wasn't as obvious we had two pages showing the same
thing)

> realize the URL says 'archive'.. but it's not friendly).

Agreed.