Subject: BUG #2560: Web page documentation hard to use

From: "PFudd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 16:54:03 GMT

The following bug has been logged online:

Bug reference:      2560
Logged by:          PFudd
Email address:      [email-masked]
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.4
Operating system:   N/A
Description:        Web page documentation hard to use
Details: 

I'm trying to look up the SQL keyword 'in' using the postgresql.org web
search function.

Unfortunately, this word is also present in about every third sentence of
every page, making it impossible to search for.

In fact, a lot of the sql keywords are impossible to search for, because
they're lost in the noise.

Can this be fixed?

Thanks!

---

From: Jim Nasby <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 12:33:20 -0500

Moving to -www.

I can't think of any good way to fix this; I think this is something  
even Google has issues with. Your best bet is probably to ask pgsql- 
general whatever questions you have. I don't have the docs handy  
right now, but someone else might be able to direct you to wherever IN 
() is documented (probably in the expressions section, or maybe in  
SELECT).

On Aug 1, 2006, at 4:54 PM, PFudd wrote:
> ---------------------------(end of  
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend
>

--
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      [email-masked]
Pervasive Software      http://pervasive.com    work: 512-231-6117
vcard: http://jim.nasby.net/pervasive.vcf       cell: 512-569-9461

---

From: PF <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 09:51:48 -0700

The php language web site (http://www.php.net/) seems to have a good
solution; the search can be restricted to just the function list.

The other language reference that comes to mind is the perlfunc man
page; every keyword is on one page, with examples.  Searching is not as
big a problem because you know you're on the right page already; you
only have to scroll down to the keyword in alphabetical order.  It makes
for a long page, but that isn't much of a drawback.

I just had a thought; is there an index of keywords for postgres?

-- 
PF <[email-masked]>

---

From: "Jim C. Nasby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 17:59:42 -0500

> I just had a thought; is there an index of keywords for postgres?

No... anyone know the grammar well enough to know if it'd be easy to
extract them? Though I guess we'd still need to come up with references
back to the appropriate documentation page, but it might make sense to
embed that in the grammar code...
-- 
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      [email-masked]
Pervasive Software      http://pervasive.com    work: 512-231-6117
vcard: http://jim.nasby.net/pervasive.vcf       cell: 512-569-9461