Subject: Re: PostgreSQL.org v3 -- Progress?

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 18:55:34 -0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Josh Berkus [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 09 December 2003 17:55
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [pgsql-www] PostgreSQL.org v3 -- Progress?
> 
> People,
> 
> First of all, I posted questions regarding getting 
> jobs.postgresql.org built last week and received no feedback 
> whatsoever other than a request for the 
> PDF from Francisco.   Is everybody on vacation?

No, just very busy with uni work (in my case anyhoo). I finish this
module tomorrow, and with the exception of having to come up with a
dissertation topic (suggestions *very* welcome - it's for an MSc in IT)
I'm now on a break until February so will hopefully have a bit more time
free.

I'm fairly indifferent about how the site is designed from a s/w spec
point of view. What I do think matters is:

- the design should match what we're aiming for on the portal (the most
common complaint I hear is that all our sites look different).

- the look and feel should be centralised so we can update the design of
the entire site by changing only a single stylesheet and template or
similar.

- Ideally please use PHP/PostgreSQL as that is what most of us know.

As for your pal putting his name on his work, I think that is only fair
if he is doing the work, as long as it is not obtrusive.

> Second, my web guru pointed out to me that in addition to 
> www.postgresql.org being multi-language, some parts of the 
> web site need to be multi-*locale* as 
> well.   For example, News, Events, Jobs, etc.   Just because 
> the Spanish and 
> the Mexicans speak the same language it doesn't mean that the 
> Spanish want to know about  training courses in Jalisco.

I assume that's fairly easy isn't it Andreas? Just a case of using the
full identifier in the code (eg pt_BR for Brazilian Portuguese or pt_PT
for Portuguese Portuguese).

> Thirdly, and most importantly:   A professional design firm 
> has offered their 
> pro-bono help with web design (they are PostgreSQL users).   
> Do we want them 
> involved in the WWW effort, and if so, how?

I think we need some commitment of the work being undertaken by the rest
of the team first - our major problem seems to be that although we're
all basically enthusiastic, we're all pretty busy. I think the main
priorities right now should be v3.0, but then there is also a new
techdocs site to consider as well. So, Andreas, Michael et al. can you
let us know if you have any sort of roadmap for getting v3 live?

Cheers, Dave.

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 11:16:57 -0800

Dave,

> dissertation topic (suggestions *very* welcome - it's for an MSc in IT)

Sorry, can't help -- my degree is in Fine Art.

> the entire site by changing only a single stylesheet and template or

Yes.   Our plan was to make jobs.postgresql.org an application within the 
PostgreSQL.org CSS+"frame".   That's why we need that code before we can 
proceed.  Can we decide on  a "final" CSS out of the ones presented so that 
we can start work on this?

> - Ideally please use PHP/PostgreSQL as that is what most of us know.

Oh, sorry, didn't mention that?   Yes, that will be the technology employed.

> if he is doing the work, as long as it is not obtrusive.

Good.  I was thinking a text link at the bottom of the screen.

-- 
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Dec 2003 15:04:29 -0500

> we can start work on this?

In the mean time can somebody update the current jobs page to the text I
sent in last week...

Robert Treat
-- 
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL