Subject: Strange anoncvs sync behavior

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 01:59:04 -0400

Over an hour ago, Marc applied a "cvs tag" operation to the master CVS
repository.  I saw it immediately in local "cvs log" queries, but it
didn't propagate to anoncvs AFAICS, because the cvsweb server never
showed it.  After I applied a post-tag commit
(src/backend/optimizer/path/pathkeys.c a few minutes ago), the BETA2
tag showed up in cvsweb almost immediately.

This might have been some weird timing glitch, but what it looked like
to me was that the anoncvs update trigger doesn't recognize tag
operations.  Is that accurate?  Is it fixable?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:27:26 +0200

> operations.  Is that accurate?  Is it fixable?

Yes, on both accounts.

Now that you mention it I see that actually sitting in my TODO queue -
it's pending the work that Marc was doing on the tagging scripts to deal
first with permissions and then with emails. I assume he's now either
done or buried the projects (IIRC the permissions part was buried since
we didn't really want it), but I forgot to bump it on my TODO. It's now
bumped, I'll make sure it happens.

//Magnus

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 19:23:38 -0300

- --On Saturday, October 27, 2007 09:27:26 +0200 Magnus Hagander 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>  work that Marc was doing on the tagging scripts to deal
> first with permissions and then with emails.

Pardon?

- ----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email . [email-masked]                              MSN . [email-masked]
Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 09:26:18 +0100

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> 
> --On Saturday, October 27, 2007 09:27:26 +0200 Magnus Hagander 

You were hacking on the tag/branch stuff only to allow "pgsql" to do
that, but then IIRC people spoke up and said they wanted it the other
way around - only personal accounts doing it. Or something like that.

//Magnus

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 13:18:56 -0300

> way around - only personal accounts doing it. Or something like that.

Nope, actually, the problem was that the codeI added didn't work ... the 
purpose was to prevent something like Michael Meskes accidentally running a tag 
command, which is what prompted it all .. or, rather, it was to be restricted 
to me alone vs pgsql ... shouldn't prevent doing the 'sync on tag' coding you 
need to do, but thansk for the reminder, I will re-diving into getting that 
restriction working properly ..

- ----

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 07:27:33 +0100

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> 
> 
> --On Sunday, October 28, 2007 09:26:18 +0100 Magnus Hagander 

Ah, that's what I meant, really :-) At least in that being the reason
why I stopped looking at the other part, and then forgot about it.

//Magnus

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 11:16:24 +0100

> why I stopped looking at the other part, and then forgot about it.

Would this have anything to do with this problem:

$ cvs update -rREL8_2_STABLE
cvs update: warning: cannot open /cvsroot/CVSROOT/val-tags read/write: Permission denied
cvs update: failed to create lock directory for `/cvsroot/pgsql' (/cvsroot/pgsql/#cvs.lock): Permission denied
cvs update: failed to obtain dir lock in repository `/cvsroot/pgsql'
cvs [update aborted]: read lock failed - giving up

-- 
Peter Eisentraut
http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:35:31 +0100

> operations.  Is that accurate?  Is it fixable?

Sorry for the wait, hopefully this is now done. cvs tag operation should now
trigger a repository replication the same way a cvs commit does. (I copied
the code over..)

//Magnus