Subject: Win32 PostgreSQL 8.0 Beta 1 Installer available for download

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 15:09:55 +0100

I've just packaged and uploaded a new version of the Win32 PostgreSQL
installer beta, with PostgreSQL 8.0 Beta 1 and todays snapshot of
pgAdmin III. This is a beta for the installer as well as PostgreSQL
itself, so please report bugs for either. Bug reports for pgAdmin are
also welcome at [email-masked] as we are nearing our own
beta.

This version of the installer includes various changes from the last
version:

- Add zlib.dll used by pg_dump et al. for compression
- Warn the user that initdb may take a couple of minutes.
- Allow user selection of service ID (allowing multiple postmaster
services to be installed).
- Write service details to a predicable location in the registry for use
by control/client programs.
- Set the default service account name to 'postgres'
- Add missing encoding, sort the list.
- Various spelling/layout cleanups.
- pgAdmin now automatically detects local servers and allows
startup/shutdown of them.

Download from:
http://pgfoundry.org/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1000007

Regards, Dave (and Magnus)

---

From: Jochem van Dieten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 16:52:23 +0200

Dave Page wrote:
> itself, so please report bugs for either.

I would like to report success on WinXP Pro SP1. It looks great, 
well done!!!

> services to be installed).

Is it possible to install multiple instances from the installer? 
When I have installed the first instance and I execute the 
installer again it jumps to the last page and tells me 
installation is complete.

> http://pgfoundry.org/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1000007

This download could become quite popular after the news of Beta1 
has hit pgsql-announce. It might be a good idea to set up a 
bittorrent tracker and / or use http://freecache.org/ when 
spreading the word.

Jochem

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 18:13:25 -0400 (EDT)

> bittorrent tracker and / or use http://freecache.org/ when 

Agreed. We should mention this win32 installer for beta1 in the beta1
release announcement.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [email-masked]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 18:51:40 -0400 (EDT)

I just installed beta1 and it worked fine.  The only thing I would
change is that the "Initializing Database Cluster" message has a title
with that text, but the message says it will take a minute or two. 
Should we also put text in the window indicating we are initializing the
database cluster, rather than just mention it in the title.

Also, we have no "uninstall" option on the START menu.  Is this
intentional?  I used the control panel to uninstall the previous
version.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [email-masked])
>

---

From: "Richard Luckhurst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:45:28 +1000

Hi All

I have just tried the new installer on my Win 2000 box and all went well
until initdb tried to do it's thing. I got an error box telling me

"Failed to run initdb:1!"
Please see the log file C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0-beta1\tmp\initdb.log

When I had a look in there I found the following errors

creating template1 database in C:/Program
Files/PostgreSQL/8.0-beta1/data/base/1 ... Bad command or file name
could not write to child process
initdb: failed

I would appreciate any help with this problem.

Regards

Richard Luckhurst

---

From: Aleksander Kmetec <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:48:03 +0200

I came across theese two problems while testing the installer:

1. Installer lists some database encodings which are not supported. 
Selecting win1250, for example, causes initdb to exit and the 
installation is then rolled back.

initdb.log says:
initdb: "WIN1250" is not a valid server encoding name

2. Uninstalling PG didn't remove the service. Instead, it just changed 
its startup type to "disabled".

Other than that it seems to work great.

I'm using windows 2000, sp4.

Regards,
Aleksander

---

From: Johan Paul Glutting <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:07:34 +0200

Seems to work fine on WinXP SP1, Spanish version (handles "Archivos de 
Programa" and all that smoothly).

pgAdmin III connects properly as well.

Cheers,

JP

-- 
JP Glutting
Oficina de Qualitat		Plaça Víctor Siurana, 1
Universitat de Lleida		25003 Lleida
-------------------------------------------------------
Tel: 973 703 103		Fax: 973 702 036