Subject: Re: New site - minor problem

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 20:31:52 -0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Gavin M. Roy [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 06 December 2004 19:52
> To: Dave Page
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] New site - minor problem
> 
> I'll address hosting in another email.  My primary offer, 
> knowing the politics of PgSQL related site hosting, is a 
> closed-source prorpietary module that should very easily 
> handle the ip to country needs of the launch.  It provides 
> the country as an environment variable, and has very, very 
> little overhead.  It is production stable and currently 
> handles 20 million plus hits per day for some of my customers.

Personally I'm not fanatically against closed source code - I'll use
whatever is best for the job at an appropriate price. Is this your own
code, and would you donate it wherever we ran the master site?

Regards, Dave.

---

From: "Gavin M. Roy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 12:38:10 -0800

This is my own code from a start company I am working on - 
http://www.palefacemodules.com/ - pardon the very sparse website... ;)
I would be donating the license, and providing free database updates, as 
needed.

Gavin

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 12:38:55 -0800

> code, and would you donate it wherever we ran the master site?

I would say, if there is not a reasonably open source alternative then
go for it... I have not problem with us using a closed source module
if it is the best for the job.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> 
> Regards, Dave.
> 
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
>       subscribe-nomail command to [email-masked] so that your
>       message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

-- 
Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.
Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
+1-503-667-4564 - [email-masked] - http://www.commandprompt.com
Mammoth PostgreSQL Replicator. Integrated Replication for PostgreSQL

---

From: John Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 08:31:10 +1100

> if it is the best for the job.

What's wrong with using maxmind's ip2country database?

Having read the thread, I'm still unclear as to what the problem really
is.

... John