Subject: Re: New site - minor problem

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 12:32:53 -0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alexey Borzov [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 06 December 2004 11:22
> To: Dave Page
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] New site - minor problem
> 
> If you have problems with directing traffic to your server, 
> then we'll probably need to find "real" hosting. Because 
> we'll still need to direct all form submissions to your 
> server (uncluding voting in surveys).

The form submissions will not be a problem as they are a minimal amount
of traffic. Handling tens or hundreds of thousands of hits per day for
mirrors is a lot more. The box I'm using is on a 2Mb leased line (which
costs an arm and a leg here btw). If the traffic impacts our normal
business in any way, it will have to be removed - hence I'm being
cautious.

> A major objection to mirroring the lists of mirrors is that 
> we risk having a stale mirror having a list of even more 
> stale (and non-working) mirrors.

That happens quite rarely, and even when it does, 99% of users will
simply choose another mirror. This is also how it is setup now...

/D

---

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:18:50 +0300

Hi,

> business in any way, it will have to be removed - hence I'm being

Ok, I see.

But then I have another question: why are we moving the dynamic site 
from one inadequate server (due to overload) to the other (due to 
bandwidth limits)? Especially when there were proposals of better 
hosting options on this list?

---

From: Justin Clift <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 01:14:43 +1100

Dave Page wrote:
<snip>
 > If the traffic impacts our normal

Ok.  If it starts to be a problem then it can be put elsewhere.

If no-one else with dedicated infrastructure steps up, it'd be no 
problem for us.  We've got a server in the US with a couple of TB's of 
unused traffic per month pre-paid for it.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:19:18 -0400 (AST)

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> of traffic.

I thought form submissions went to scripts.postgresql.org anyway .. ?

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664