Subject: Re: New site - minor problem

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 16:29:28 -0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Gavin M. Roy [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 06 December 2004 16:17
> To: Dave Page
> Cc: Alexey Borzov; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] New site - minor problem
> 
> Two things, I have the resources to host it, and I would be 
> happy to donate my apache module "Paleface IP2C" which can do 
> IP2Country lookups with very little overhead.  With it 
> installed there should be very little overhead in IP2Country 
> lookups (read 100's of times faster) than anything else I've 
> played with module, or php based.  On a P4-3ghz one can 
> expect lookups in the 0.0007 second range.

OK, some questions:

1) What backups do you run?
2) Will we (ie. myself, Marc and Robert) have root access?
3) I take it a PostgreSQL installation is no problem?
4) Where do I get back the hours I just spent setting up this server?
:-)

I would also add that I'm not committing to anything at this point, just
asking the questions. I've also spent too long setting this all up over
here to be overly enthusiastic to do it all again for the sake of one
very minor feature. The resources I have are certainly more than enough
without it, and most likely wouldn't cause problems even with it
enabled. Like I said, I'm just being cautious.

Personally, I would prefer for you to host something larger, such as
pgFoundry - but we'd need to convince Marc about that one!

Regards, Dave

---

From: "Gavin M. Roy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 11:52:27 -0800

I'll address hosting in another email.  My primary offer, knowing the 
politics of PgSQL related site hosting, is a closed-source prorpietary 
module that should very easily handle the ip to country needs of the 
launch.  It provides the country as an environment variable, and has 
very, very little overhead.  It is production stable and currently 
handles 20 million plus hits per day for some of my customers.

Gavin