Subject: Can't get all search results

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 22:12:47 -0400 (EDT)

I can't get all May 2006 search results to show up on:

	http://archives.postgresql.org/

If I search for "semaphore", I see only one entry for May 2006, while
this shows three emails with that title from the patches list for May
7-8, 2006:

	http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-05/index.php

-- 
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us
  EnterpriseDB    http://www.enterprisedb.com

  + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

---

From: Oleg Bartunov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 06:52:59 +0400 (MSD)

> I can't get all May 2006 search results to show up on:

because indexes were created offline. Our mailware should be always
in sync
http://pgsql.ru/db/mw/index.html?section=-1&word=semaphore&action=Search&sdb_d=11&sdb_m=4&sdb_y=2006&sde_d=11&sde_m=5&sde_y=2006&weight=0&format=0&order=1

We have not enough time to upgrade tsearch2 on this server to make it
pretty fast, but it's still usable.

> this shows three emails with that title from the patches list for May

 	Regards,
 		Oleg
_____________________________________________________________
Oleg Bartunov, Research Scientist, Head of AstroNet (www.astronet.ru),
Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University, Russia
Internet: [email-masked], http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

---

From: John Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 13:33:52 +1000

> this shows three emails with that title from the patches list for May

Aye, I'm aware of a problem with the sort by date functionality,... if
you look closer you will see that they appear among the last few
results.

... John

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 09:01:03 -0400 (EDT)

> you look closer you will see that they appear among the last few

Oh, I definately see some strange date ordering on the last page.  Can
you explain how something as simple as a date sort could not work 100%?

---

From: John Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 01:26:48 +1000

> you explain how something as simple as a date sort could not work 100%?

Sure, the function that converts the webserver's response (the
last_modified header returned by a HEAD request to be precise) to a unix
timestamp, is by nature, somewhat uhmm,. unstable

'by nature' since there is no standard, an attempt has been made to
cover the most common response formats.

... John