Subject: New Ideas about website

From: "Euler Taveira de Oliveira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 2:42:34 -0300

Hi all,

As I promissed in my last e-mail, I just created 3 new models for the
website.
http://www.ufgnet.ufg.br/euler/pgsql-www/model-1.html
http://www.ufgnet.ufg.br/euler/pgsql-www/model-2.html
http://www.ufgnet.ufg.br/euler/pgsql-www/model-3.html

I tried to clean up the HTML code using CSS and use some sort of tables. All
of the code were tested on HTML 4.01 and CSS 2. I
tested it under: Links, Lynx, Mozilla, Firebird, Netscape, Galeon and
Konqueror.
The first one, I just conserved the content from Andreas and change the
style of the boxes. The second one, I tried to reorgan
ize the content. And the last one, I changed the main part.

IMHO, I like the last one a lot. But I don't know about the News/Event, I
think the headline + summary is more attractive than
a single headline.

I need to think about the content of the website. It's the most important
thing of a website. Without it, we don't even have a
website! What about my content ? What could we add/remove ?

Talking about i18n, I just investigated the way pgadmin deal with it and
remember I tried it days ago. It's quite simple, we j
ust need to use the gettext extension of PHP. The other way is deal with
SGML like Debian and KDE projects. Comments ?

Regards,

Euler Taveira de Oliveira
euler (at) ufgnet.ufg.br

---

From: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 07:17:12 +0100

>http://www.ufgnet.ufg.br/euler/pgsql-www/model-3.html

I either prefer the 2nd or 3rd.

Advantage of the 2nd over the 3rd: it shows excerpts of the headlines.
Advantage of the 3rd of the 2nd: it shows the headlines and doesn't
require a great deal of scrolling.

Mutual exclusion.

I like the overal layout though.

-- 
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai(at)wxs.nl> / asmodai / kita no mono
PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://www.in-nomine.org/~asmodai/diary/
Do unto others, as ye would have done unto you...

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 01:37:24 -0500

> I either prefer the 2nd or 3rd.

I like model-3 for a "top" page, ie, where you go if you've not heard of
Postgres before.  model-2 would work well as a www.postgresql.org/news/
sub-page.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Devrim GUNDUZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:48:29 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

> http://www.ufgnet.ufg.br/euler/pgsql-www/model-3.html
<snip>

At the first look; the 3rd one seemed the best one for me, but when I 
scrolled down, I saw the empty space at the bottom. I think we should fill 
that part with some kind of information.

So the 2nd one is the best on, IMHO.

Regards,
- -- 
Devrim GUNDUZ
[email-masked]				[email-masked] 
			http://www.tdmsoft.com
			http://www.gunduz.org

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:04:15 -0800

Euler,

> http://www.ufgnet.ufg.br/euler/pgsql-www/model-3.html

I like #3.  Unlike other people here, I think I prefer just the headlines on 
the news/events listings.   It's simply too much text for a "front page" 
otherwise, especially as the majority of traffic will be viewing the front 
page just to go somewhere else.

I would like to make the left-hand column shorter in order not to make people 
scroll so much.  Maybe slightly less spacing between links?  And handling the 
"international" links in some other way, since this is liable to be a growing 
list?

On the right column, we could cut the descriptions for the "top 5 Gborg 
projects".

Finally, I notice that the links on the bottom bar are different from the 
links on the top blue bar. this isn't intentional, I hope?

Oh, FWIW, really good work.  Renders in Konq 3.0.3 perfectly.

-- 
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 23:15:23 -0500

On Wednesday 12 November 2003 13:04, Josh Berkus wrote:
> I like #3.  Unlike other people here, I think I prefer just the headlines
> on the news/events listings.   It's simply too much text for a "front page"

Actually that's all the more reason to have expanded news items on the front 
page. You want the person coming in to check the docs to see the news item 
about winning a new award or having a new release out.  If it's just links 
people are unlikely to click on them, and might miss information we want to 
push towards them.

Robert Treat
-- 
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL