Subject: Re: improvise callbacks in plpgsql

From: "Merlin Moncure" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 08:45:02 -0500

> Would you be willing to write up an example of this? We often get
asked
> about support for WITH, so I bet there's other people who would be
very
> interested in what you've got.

Sure. In fact, I had already decided this to be the next topic on my
blog.  I'm assuming you are asking about tools to deal with recursive
sets in postgresql.  A plpgsql solution is extremely fast, tight, and
easy if you do it right...Tom's latest suggestions (I have to flesh this
out some more) provide the missing piece puzzle to make it really tight
from a classic programming perspective.  I don't miss the recursive
query syntax at all...IMO it's pretty much a hack anyways (to SQL).   

Merlin

---

From: "Jim C. Nasby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 17:44:30 -0600

Can we get a link to this posted somewhere? I guess on techdocs?

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 08:45:02AM -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 3: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
> 
>                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
> 

-- 
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      [email-masked]
Pervasive Software      http://pervasive.com    work: 512-231-6117
vcard: http://jim.nasby.net/pervasive.vcf       cell: 512-569-9461

---

From: David Fetter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 18:52:33 -0800

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 05:44:30PM -0600, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > Sure. In fact, I had already decided this to be the next topic on
> > my blog.  I'm assuming you are asking about tools to deal with
> > recursive sets in postgresql.  A plpgsql solution is extremely
> > fast, tight, and easy if you do it right...Tom's latest
> > suggestions (I have to flesh this out some more) provide the
> > missing piece puzzle to make it really tight from a classic
> > programming perspective.  I don't miss the recursive query syntax
> > at all...IMO it's pretty much a hack anyways (to SQL).   

This might be worth putting in the docs somewhere.  Tutorial?

Cheers,
D
-- 
David Fetter [email-masked] http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

---

From: Merlin Moncure <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 09:01:52 -0500

> This might be worth putting in the docs somewhere.  Tutorial?

you guys can do anything you like with it...

I'm working on part two which will build on the previous example and
show how to pass in a function to use as a callback, kind of like a
functor.

btw, the blog examples are a reduction of my own personal code which
went through a vast simplification process.  I need to test it a bt
before it hits doc quality, there might be some errors lurking there.

Merlin