Subject: What is the deal with mailing lists?

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:26:18 -0800

Hello,

Is it me or are we regularly seeing HOURS between posts. It is pretty 
ridiculous that the archives which are rsynced are regularly ahead of 
actual mail delivery.

Even worse that we can go hours between delivery.

At the time of this writing, my last post from hackers is 5:54 AM PST.
I was speaking with DarcyB and his was hours before that. DarcyB and I 
are both mailing list relays... If anything we should get email before 
anyone else ;)

I just checked our relay queue and we only have 33 requests all of which
are things like can not reach host. So email that goes through our 
machines is working.

Joshua D. Drake

-- 
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc. 1.503.667.4564
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support
Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
Co-Authors: plPHP, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

---

From: "Jim C. Nasby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 12:22:00 -0600

> are things like can not reach host. So email that goes through our 

I find headers to be very valuable for diagnosing this kind of thing...

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:26:18 -0800

It looks like it took a total of 7:20 for that email to make it to me.
In a case of pot calling kettle black ;P, it took your machine 5:58 to
get it to postgresql.org. Of course that's assuming everyone's clock is
in sync, and the clock on the machine you sent the email from appears to
be 13 minutes fast.

Anyway, next time you're seeing a delay take a look at the headers and
see if you can pin down what the bottleneck is.
-- 
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      [email-masked]
Pervasive Software      http://pervasive.com    work: 512-231-6117
vcard: http://jim.nasby.net/pervasive.vcf       cell: 512-569-9461

---

From: Joshua Drake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:52:05 -0800

> see if you can pin down what the bottleneck is.

Thank you for that... except that, I was talking about HOUR[n] delays not 13
minutes.
As stated in the original email, I am having reports of emails taking much,
much longer
then 13 minutes and in fact for some odd reason, I still don't have your
reply in my jd@cmd
mailbox.

My current last email from the list was 3 hours and twenty minutes ago but
the archives already
have them, as does gmail. If this was just me that was having this problem
it would be one thing
and easily diagnosable (in theory) but it isn't. There are others.

Joshua D. Drake

--
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend
>

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:12:08 -0500

> Thank you for that... except that, I was talking about HOUR[n] delays not 13

Yeah, so ... where's the blockage according to your Received: headers?

Personally I've been seeing list turnaround on the order of one minute,
across all the lists, since Marc fixed whatever he fixed about a week
ago (that was before the server changeover).  It would seem that the
problem is with a forwarder upstream of you ...

			regards, tom lane

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 11:47:13 -0800

> problem is with a forwarder upstream of you ...

I actually think I might know one part of it at least. Which is I only
whitelist the hub (and my own) relays... Which means if it hits any
other relay, then that message will get greylisted.

I have asked marc for the other relay ips so I can whitelist them and
see if the problem persists.

Joshua D. Drake

-- 
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc. 1.503.667.4564
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support
Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl, ODBCng - http://www.commandprompt.com/