Subject: How to contribute to site?

From: Francisco Reyes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 21:32:42 -0400

I am looking at https://pgweb.postgresql.org and don't see any pointers on 
how one contributes to the pg doc project.

Also checked http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Developer_FAQ and the wiki in 
general.

Any URLs or any pointers on how to contribute?
I particular I want to provide examples for this page:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/ddl-partitioning.html

I spent the better part of an afternoon figuring out how to make a dynamic 
function to send data to the proper partition.

I recall there was a presentation in a PDF that had a sample, but could not 
find it anymore. Neither could find any examples.

Figure I could share what I have so others have a starting point when doing 
partitions.

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 20:26:05 -0400

Francisco Reyes wrote:
> I am looking at https://pgweb.postgresql.org and don't see any pointers 
> on how one contributes to the pg doc project.
>
> Also checked http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Developer_FAQ and the wiki 
> in general.
>

Well, that's a different codebase from pgweb.  pgweb deals with the
website itself; the docs are produced from SGML source found in the core
Postgres source.  You can probably check out git.postgresql.org to get
this source, edit it (see the doc/src/sgml directory), and use GIT to
build a patch and mail it to the pgsql-docs list.

(You could also use CVS if you feel so inclined, but it probably does
not have any benefit over GIT).

Note that pgsql-www is not involved anywhere in this task :-)

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.

---

From: Francisco Reyes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 22:41:38 -0400

> build a patch and mail it to the pgsql-docs list.

Ok. Thanks.

Will subscribe to pg-docs then.