Subject: Community account

From: Rainer Bauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 11:49:17 +0200

Hello,

I signed up a couple of months ago but never received the confirmation email.

If I try to create a new account with the same email address, but a different
handle it is denied with this error message: "A user with that email already
exists".

When I click on the 'lost password' link and enter my email address nothing
happens, i.e. no email arrives. In fact I never received *any* email from the
community registration.

How should I proceed? Is there someone I can contact directly regarding this
matter?

Rainer

---

From: Scott Marlowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 08:21:29 -0600

> handle it is denied with this error message: "A user with that email already

The mailing lists don't support user names, just email addresses.
Where exactly are you signing up?

---

From: Rainer Bauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 16:27:11 +0200

Hello Scott,

Saturday, April 18, 2009, 4:21:29 PM, you wrote:

>> handle it is denied with this error message: "A user with that email already

SM> The mailing lists don't support user names, just email addresses.

Yes, I know. I was talking about a community account.

SM> Where exactly are you signing up?

Here: <http://www.postgresql.org/community/signup>

Rainer

---

From: Scott Marlowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 10:42:53 -0600

> Here: <http://www.postgresql.org/community/signup>

Ahh, ok.  I'd guess that you got an email and anti-spam software ate
it?  Just guessing.

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 17:20:37 -0400

> Ahh, ok.  I'd guess that you got an email and anti-spam software ate

Seems like there should at least be some way to re-send the confirmation
email.  Can anyone on pgsql-www help?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:05:49 +0200

> How should I proceed? Is there someone I can contact directly regarding this

Hi!

This belongs on pgslq-www, not -general - let's move it over there.

I've looked through our logs and it seems we are the victims of your
antispam system. I assume you are trying to register as
[email-masked]? That's the only email I see us trying to deliver to
in that domain. What I have for that one is:

Apr 18 09:34:30 wwwmaster sendmail[68907]: n3I9YOYN068904:
to=<[email-masked]>, ctladdr=<[email-masked]> (80/80),
delay=00:00:06, xdelay=00:00:06, mailer=esmtp, pri=30647,
relay=mailin.dcpserver.de. [80.252.97.204], dsn=4.3.0, stat=Deferred:
451-AF-Greylist: Sender Domain has no MX

repeated a couple of times, up to:

Apr 19 03:06:56 wwwmaster sendmail[4515]: n3I9YOYN068904:
to=<[email-masked]>, ctladdr=<[email-masked]> (80/80),
delay=17:32:32, xdelay=00:00:12, mailer=esmtp, pri=120647,
relay=mailin3.dcpserver.de. [80.252.97.102], dsn=4.3.0, stat=Deferred:
451-AF-Greylist: Sender Domain has no MX

So we are trying to deliver this to your domain, but appear to be
repeatedly graylisted by the different MX machines. And when we try
again, we're put back on the graylist again.

We are trying to send from @wwwmaster.postgresql.org, which doesn't have
an MX record, that's true. This is because it's an A record, which means
it doesn't *need* an MX. So it appears your mailserver is misconfigured
in this regard.

You need to have the email system give us at least a chance to get off
the graylist :-) Or you need to whitelist the wwwmaster.postgresql.org
domain.

//Magnus

---

From: Rainer Bauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:35:19 +0200

Hello Magnus,

Sunday, April 19, 2009, 11:05:49 AM, you wrote:

MH> I assume you are trying to register as [email-masked]?

Yep.

MH> So we are trying to deliver this to your domain, but appear to be
MH> repeatedly graylisted by the different MX machines. And when we try
MH> again, we're put back on the graylist again.

MH> We are trying to send from @wwwmaster.postgresql.org, which doesn't have
MH> an MX record, that's true. This is because it's an A record, which means
MH> it doesn't *need* an MX. So it appears your mailserver is misconfigured
MH> in this regard.

MH> You need to have the email system give us at least a chance to get off
MH> the graylist :-) Or you need to whitelist the wwwmaster.postgresql.org
MH> domain.

Thanks for the info. I have contacted my provider regarding this issue.

Rainer

---

From: Rainer Bauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 12:47:58 +0200

Hello Magnus,

It was whitelisted and works now like a charm. Thanks, Magnus!

I suppose there is no way to display an error message to the user if
the email cannot be delivered?

Rainer

---

From: "Roderick A. Anderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 08:31:28 -0700

> Ahh, ok.  I'd guess that you got an email and anti-spam software ate

FYI, I tried to sign up yesterday and saw the message get caught by 
Postgrey at 09:18 then delivered at 20:06 when a second try to deliver 
was made.

Most other servers greylisted get back within a few minutes.  The 
Postgrey delay/backoff is set for 60 seconds.

\\||/
Rod
--

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 18:39:22 +0200

> the email cannot be delivered?

Not really. We deliver the email to the mailserver - at that point it
leaves the control of the application. It *can* be done, but that would
take a lot of more work - we'd basically have to implement our own
mailserver functionality...

//Magnus