Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Bug report form: locale/encoding

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 16:44:25 +0100

> > > Has anyone considered something like "reportbug" in Debian which 
> > > collects a certain amount of information about the system 
> and then 
> > > creates an email with the information included. Of perhaps a 
> > > pg_buginfo like this:
> > 
> > pg_config and pg_controldata together cover most if not all of this 
> > info, and neither requires a running postmaster.
> 
> Excellent. Let's add some fields to the bug reporting form 
> where people can paste the output.

Probably a good idea. With those, we don't really need specific
questions about locale, right? 

And those fields would definitly have to be made optional, I think. But
just adding two optional fields:

Output from pg_config:
Output from pg_controldata:

should do a lot. With that, we could even remove the version field if we
wanted to - but do we? Might be good to keep it in case ppl have a
question that doesn't need/want pg_config/pg_controldata.

//Magnus

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:06:54 -0500

> question that doesn't need/want pg_config/pg_controldata.

Also, I had forgotten that 8.1 is the first release in which pg_config
without any argument will give you a brain dump of all it knows.  Before
that, it's a lot less friendly ...

The pg_controldata output is probably more interesting in most cases
anyway, so put that question first.

			regards, tom lane