Subject: Bug report form: locale/encoding

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:11:23 +0100

Considering the amount of bug repotrs that get their first question as
"what's the locale" and "what's the encoding", should we perhaps add
those fields to the bug reporting form?

And if we should, should we add them as optional or mandatory? 

//Magnus

---

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:52:27 +0100

> And if we should, should we add them as optional or mandatory? 

Mandatory, including a quick description on how to get the values.

Has anyone considered something like "reportbug" in Debian which
collects a certain amount of information about the system and then
creates an email with the information included. Of perhaps a pg_buginfo
like this:

$ pg_buginfo <dbname>
Platform: blah
Version: blah
Compiler: blah
etc...
FrozenXID: blah
Encoding: blah
Locale: blah

Which could then be cut and paste into an email or the bug form. Maybe
with optional table name it would provide more info about just that
table. Or if you provide a query it generates explain output. 
Obviously it won't work in situations where the system is completely
broken.

Have a nice day,

-- 
Martijn van Oosterhout   <[email-masked]>   http://svana.org/kleptog/
> Patent. n. Genius is 5% inspiration and 95% perspiration. A patent is a
> tool for doing 5% of the work and then sitting around waiting for someone
> else to do the other 95% so you can sue them.

---

From: "William ZHANG" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:38:36 +0800

>creates an email with the information included. Of perhaps a pg_buginfo

It sounds good. Should we setup a bug tracker system for pgsql?

Regards,
William ZHANG

---

From: Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:04:19 -0500

>It sounds good. Should we setup a bug tracker system for pgsql?

Please start by reviewing previous discussions on this point. We really 
don't need to have this discussion every few months.

cheers

andrew

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:07:52 -0500

> creates an email with the information included. Of perhaps a pg_buginfo

pg_config and pg_controldata together cover most if not all of this
info, and neither requires a running postmaster.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 16:35:58 +0100

> info, and neither requires a running postmaster.

Excellent. Let's add some fields to the bug reporting form where people
can paste the output.

Have a nice day,

---

From: "William ZHANG" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:33:03 +0800

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Andrew Dunstan" <[email-masked]>
To: "William ZHANG" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 11:04 PM
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Bug report form: locale/encoding

> don't need to have this discussion every few months.

My apologies.
Now I have read the posts here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-02/msg00853.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-02/msg00964.php

Regards, 
William ZHANG