Subject: Postgres Wiki

From: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 12:15:41 -0000

For better or worse, the Postgres Wiki is now up and running:

http://wiki.postgresql.org

It's running Postgres on the backend, but was originally designed
to run Mysql, so let me know if you notice any problems.

- --
Greg Sabino Mullane [email-masked]
End Point Corporation
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200608150812
http://biglumber.com/x/web?pk=2529DF6AB8F79407E94445B4BC9B906714964AC8

---

From: Devrim GUNDUZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 17:56:45 +0300

Hello,

> http://wiki.postgresql.org

Great! I pushed RPM Installation article there. I'll report you if I
experience problems.

I believe that wiki will help us a lot for writing docs.

Regards,

-- 
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc. 1.503.667.4564
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support
Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
Co-Authors: plPHP, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

---

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 17:04:29 +0200

> Great! I pushed RPM Installation article there. I'll report 
> you if I experience problems.
> 

Just took a quick look at this one. Ignore for a moment the fact that I
don't like Wikis in general - I'm definitly not going to argue not to
have one for developers :-) Let's leave that part behind..

However, what's the rationale for putting this up on svr1? I would
consider that one our most critical server, considering it runs the cvs
repository. I would rather see the number of services on such an
important machine *decrease* than increase. If you need "internal
examples", we've already seen with the old svr2/wwwmaster box how messy
things can get with  a large mix of services -and how easy it is to end
up with things with security issues in there.

//Magnus

---

From: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:16:49 -0000

> up with things with security issues in there.

I think Marc was just the one willing to do the work to get something
up and going, and that's how it ended up there. That being said, the
company I work for would be more than willing to host this as well (we already
run other MediaWiki instances) if we want to move it off of there.

- --
Greg Sabino Mullane [email-masked]
End Point Corporation
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200608151113
http://biglumber.com/x/web?pk=2529DF6AB8F79407E94445B4BC9B906714964AC8

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 19:05:37 +0200

> http://wiki.postgresql.org

Perhaps the URL could be beautified a little bit.  Currently,

http://wiki.postgresql.org/index.php/Main_Page

Looking at Wikipedia and taking into account Dave's comment, it might 
better be

http://developer.postgresql.org/wiki/Main_Page

A little web server reconfiguration can probably do that.

-- 
Peter Eisentraut
http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:58:05 -0300 (ADT)

> up with things with security issues in there.

This was discussed when we first discussed setting up a wiki ... since it 
was meant to be a 'developers' wiki, not general users, it was felt that 
it was appropriate to stay with the developers vServer ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email . [email-masked]                              MSN . [email-masked]
Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 22:20:08 +0100

> Great! I pushed RPM Installation article there. I'll report you if I

Please remove these items, The whole point of this wiki was to be used a
whiteboard for *developers* to hash out plans for development work and code.

It was definitely *not* supposed to be for end user documentation, which
should be on the techdocs area of the main site.

This also means of course that write access to the wiki should be controlled
and restricted to developers. Who will be doing that?

Regards, Dave.