Subject: Re: Domain conference.postgresql.org requested

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:17:10 -0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Josh Berkus
> Sent: 13 January 2006 00:55
> To: Marc G. Fournier
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] Domain conference.postgresql.org requested
> 
> Marc,
> 
> > BTW, I thought that we were going to avoid segmenting the 
> sites anymore
> > ... ?  Based on discussions in the past, the goal was to merge, not
> > split off splinter sites ... ?
> 
> Well, that *is* why I put the request on this list.
> 
> However, we need a CMS for the conference so that us 
> non-web-developer 
> types can manage the conference content, registrations, etc.  
>  So we'll be 
> running it on Framewerk, which means that it needs to be 
> hosted elsewhere.  
> AFAIK, that means a subdomain, doesn't it?

Registration would take a little effort from one of us, but surely
everyone involved is capable of wrapping paragraphs/headers in <p> </p>
or <hX> </hX> tags? It's not like you need to handle any of the styling
or layout code as you know from when you did the first few PWNs.

Regards, Dave

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:43:00 -0800

Dave,

> or layout code as you know from when you did the first few PWNs.

Yes, but there's forms as well ... registration forms, submission of 
papers, etc.  I'm also not clear that, for marketing reasons, we want 
conference registration to be buried in the www.postgresql.org 
navigation.   Speaking of which, how many levels of navigation does 
postgresql.org support?

Is there someone on this list who's willing to be at our beck and call 
to make changes that go beyond static HTML (like an announcements 
ticker)?   And can turn these things around quickly?

Each of the 4 of us leading the conference effort expect to put in over 
100 hours organizing it this spring.  We don't have extra time to spend 
on a web site beyond the development of content, so we need a solution 
that doesn't require us to do more than that.  If that solution is the 
main postgresql.org infrastructure, we're going to need someone on this 
list to lean on, and lean hard.

Aside from that, there's some question about whether or not having its 
own root site might be better for the conference anyway.  If you look at 
O'Reilly or MySQL, neither subsumes the conference navigation into the 
main website navigation.   I'm concerned that doing so will make it 
difficult for attendees to find the information they want.

On the other hand, it would make it indisputable a "community" event.

--Josh

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:00:58 -0800

> navigation.   Speaking of which, how many levels of navigation does 

Well personally the conference should be the front page item right now
which would solve the navigation problem.

> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

-- 
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc. 1.503.667.4564
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support
Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
Co-Authors: plPHP, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 21:36:42 +0000

> which would solve the navigation problem.

Well, at very least a 'Note this in you diary' warning until there's some
content to link to (where ever it ends up).

Which reminds me, is probably about time to put (Robert's?) gears back in
place of the trumpeting elephant isn't it?

/D

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 21:43:36 +0000

> navigation.   Speaking of which, how many levels of navigation does

Depends how it's done. Archives uses 3. The new techdocs is infinite but I
think it only shows you the lowest couple of levels and top/section menus at
any one time.

> ticker)?   And can turn these things around quickly?

Magnus? :-). Seriously though, it depends on what exactly is required. If it
is just registration and paper submissions then that shouldn't be much of an
issue. Static pages are always easy of course.

> difficult for attendees to find the information they want.

Good point. Well, it is a temporary site so having it separate for good
reasons is not so evil I don't think. If you're convinced it needs to be
separate, then all I would suggest is that you make obviously a separate
site, yet clearly still PostgreSQL. Perhaps stick rigidly with the main site
colours and logo, but use a totally different layout. Or the same layout,
but different colours. That would help with your point below.
 
> On the other hand, it would make it indisputable a "community" event.

Regards, Dave.

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 14:03:26 -0800

Dave,

> separate, 

Well, that's what Peter, Andrew and Gavin S voted.

> then all I would suggest is that you make obviously a separate 
> site, yet clearly still PostgreSQL. Perhaps stick rigidly with the main
> site colours and logo, but use a totally different layout. Or the same
> layout, but different colours. That would help with your point below.

Gavin Roy is preparing a template for Framewerk that's the PostgreSQL.org 
"theme".   So it will look like part of the site, just with different 
navigation.

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

---

From: Guido Barosio <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:41:02 +0000

Well, I am probably missing too much (dunno about the tech resources and
cost for the case), and you will probably be surprised on my post to the
thread, but:

1) conference.postgresql.org seems much more easy to remember than
www.postg....
(which has no sense if the site is temporary)

2) Google (and alike ones) will obviously index this documents, so, if *we*
set this as a subdomain, and then will switch it off, we'll have 404 GET
shit, when, if *we* use a www.postgre..../conference kind of site, then we
could easily redirect those hits to the main site, without paying an extra
for a subdomain.

My 2 cents, if they count go to the site/conference case.

Every little helps, and please avoid this post if I am being silly >:}

G.-

On 1/13/06, Josh Berkus <[email-masked]> wrote:
> TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
>       choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
>       match
>

--
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  .
X  - NO Word docs in e-mail .
/ \ -----------------------------------------------------------------