Subject: Finally, the end of a nightmare ...

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 00:41:26 -0300 (ADT)

After almost 3 weeks without a proper internet connection, this morning I 
got high speed cable installed in our new residence, and this evening, I 
finally got the backup server back online ...

Apologies to those using gborg for how long it has taken to get things 
back online ... the temporary internet connection we were able to get the 
server onto was reporting ~3 days of constant upload to get gborg uploaded 
... the new net connection took 5 hours ...

I will be working tomorrow on getting gborg back up and running ... this 
will be put onto the 64bit server, so that it can be easily moved to the 
new HP server that arrived while I was offline ...

There *was* a lose of data with this crash, unfortunately, so I hope those 
on the slony project have backups of any commits made over the ~2 week 
period *before* the server crashed ... once it goes onto the 64bit server, 
the redundant local backup will be re-enabled, but since we were at the 
end of moving off of 4.x, the redundant server option wasn't working, and 
with the backup server down while we moved, offsite backups were 
temporarily offline when neptune crashed :(

Will post once gborg is back online ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email . [email-masked]                              MSN . [email-masked]
Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 07:57:52 -0300 (ADT)

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Jan Wieck wrote:

> The last commits shouldn't be much of a problem. But we will have to 
> talk about the strategy for access backup to the infrastructure. This 
> was a prime example of the classic "hit by a bus" scenario (except for 
> the missing bus). No doubt I'm happy there was no bus, but what if?

I think we are covered for most everything *except* gborg at this time ;( 
And we all know gborg needs to be merged into pgfoundry :)

JoshB, do you know if pgfoundry is being duplicated over to that new 
server in any way, just in case something does happen?

----

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 10:43:13 -0300 (ADT)

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Jan Wieck wrote:

> I also learned that some of the software used on PgFoundry isn't open 
> source any more (?). What do we do about that?

I haven't heard this ... do you know which software?

----

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 08:53:44 -0700

Jan,

> source any more (?). What do we do about that?

That's a matter for the gforge-admins.  Can you be more specific?

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 08:58:49 -0700

Marc,

> And we all know gborg needs to be merged into pgfoundry :)

I'm still getting intermittent DNS failures for mail.postgresql.org.  

> server in any way, just in case something does happen?

Not on an active basis -- remember, there's the whole 32/64 bit thing.  Let's 
re-rsync the files, and then set up some kind of daily DB copy.

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: "Gavin M. Roy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 10:25:16 -0700

http://gforge.org/

http://gforge.org/frs/download.php/219/gforge-4.5.11.tar.bz2 being  
the latest release, still has COPYING which says it's a GNU licensed  
package.

Gavin

On Sep 6, 2006, at 6:43 AM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>> I also learned that some of the software used on PgFoundry isn't  
>> open source any more (?). What do we do about that?
>
> ---------------------------(end of  
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 14:30:19 -0300 (ADT)

> I'm still getting intermittent DNS failures for mail.postgresql.org.

'k, will investigate this one further ... one of the name servers 
(ns3.hub.org) doesn't seem to be running for some reason, but the other 2 
are all reporting fine, as are the two lerctr.org name servers :(

> re-rsync the files, and then set up some kind of daily DB copy.

pgfoundry.org has been 64bit since it was upgraded to FreeBSD 6.x way back 
when ... I thought you knew that? :(  We should setup *at least* a daily 
rsync of the whole vServer so that there is an easy to access backup ... 
DB needs to be moved into the vServer yet too, which will improve its 
performance ... I will most likely look into that next week, once I get a 
desk to work at again ...

----

---

From: "Josh Berkus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 11:11:36 -0700

All,

>  the latest release, still has COPYING which says it's a GNU licensed

Oh, I didn't realize this was public yet.   Tim Perdue had let me know
confidentially what he was planning to do with the next version of GF,
now being called GF Advanced.   The basic issue is that he wants to
make some money (imagine that) and isn't very good at managing
corporate sponsorships.  Hence, the fork for license revenue.

The version we use is unaffected.  For that matter, Tim would happily
give us a free perpetual license for GF advanced if we wanted it.  It's
a complete refactor of the code base.  GF-GPL, with security patches,
will continue to exist but don't expect it to advance much.

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco 415-752-2500