Subject: [Pljava-dev] pljava portable between postgres minor versions?

From: rickjackson001 at gmail.com (akshunj)
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 19:37:20 -0700 (MST)

Hi, just curious if it's best practice to build pljava every time the version
changes? For example, if I built against 9.1.8 and now 9.1.14 is out, should
I build it from source against the new release or is it safe to reuse what I
built against the previous version? Seems to work OK, but it crossed my
mind. Thx.

--
View this message in context: http://postgresql.nabble.com/pljava-portable-between-postgres-minor-versions-tp5828859.html
Sent from the PL/Java mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

---

From: craig at 2ndquadrant.com (Craig Ringer)
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 10:54:08 +0800

On 12/02/2014 10:37 AM, akshunj wrote:
> mind.

It is unusual, if not completely unheard of, for PostgreSQL's ABI to
change within a minor release.

So long as you use the same compiler and compiler options for the new
PostgreSQL build there should be no issues using extensions - including
PL/Java - compiled against an older PostgreSQL from the same major series.

-- 
 Craig Ringer                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
 PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services

---

From: rickjackson001 at gmail.com (akshunj)
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 06:45:19 -0700 (MST)

Good to know, thanks Craig!

--
View this message in context: http://postgresql.nabble.com/pljava-portable-between-postgres-minor-versions-tp5828859p5828884.html
Sent from the PL/Java mailing list archive at Nabble.com.