Subject: [Pljava-dev] PL/Java version number, and a module name

From: chap at anastigmatix.net (Chapman Flack)
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2015 17:09:06 -0400

As far as Maven is concerned, it is building a version of PL/Java
called 0.0.2-SNAPSHOT.

Bear's recently contributed "Installing as Extension" documentation
alludes to PL/Java's current version being 1.4.4. I'm not completely
sure how Bear knows that, but I don't have anything better to go on. :)

Should the pom.xml be updated so there are not such vastly different
notions of what the version is?

Perhaps it should be called 1.5.0-SNAPSHOT, as things are indeed
currently happening that will probably amount to at least a minor-number
update when releasable?

Also ... naming of the maven submodules.  They all have names starting
with 'pljava' (pljava-api, pljava-examples, etc.) except for the odd one
out, 'packaging'.  mvn install will put them all into the local maven
repository, under the group id org.postgresql - so maybe the packaging
module should be renamed pljava-packaging, in respect for the org.postgresql
namespace.

I don't know whether anyone is using PL/Java at present in a way that would
actually retrieve it from a maven repository - but in principle that could
work; a package of Java stored procedures could be built as a maven project
that simply declared pljava-api as a dependency.

I don't think any of the other pljava modules would be needed as
dependencies of PL/Java-based projects, and in fact perhaps the pom.xml
should be adjusted so that only pljava-api would be deployed to any maven
repository, while the rest of the built artifacts would only be packaged up
as a PostgreSQL extension to be installed on the server.

... or maybe it does make sense to install different, pre-built,
architecture-specific versions of pljava-so in repositories, so they
are easy to retrieve and stuff into a deployable extension package
on a machine without the C tools ....

Thoughts?

-Chap

---

From: chap at anastigmatix.net (Chapman Flack)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 22:08:10 -0400

> sure how Bear knows that, but I don't have anything better to go on. :)

Ah, I see now that github does have a history of past releases and
their commit tags, running up to v1_4_3 about 4 years ago. So it would
be natural to call a next one 1.4.4, except enough change seems to be
in the works to justify at least 1.5.0.

> Perhaps it should be called 1.5.0-SNAPSHOT, as things are indeed

Objections?

-Chap

---

From: bgiles at coyotesong.com (Bear Giles)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 20:17:01 -0600

What are the criteria to move from SNAPSHOT to release?

-----Original Message-----
From: Pljava-dev [mailto:pljava-dev-bounces at lists.pgfoundry.org] On Behalf Of Chapman Flack
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2015 8:08 PM
To: pljava-dev at lists.pgfoundry.org
Subject: Re: [Pljava-dev] PL/Java version number, and a module name

> sure how Bear knows that, but I don't have anything better to go on. 

Ah, I see now that github does have a history of past releases and their commit tags, running up to v1_4_3 about 4 years ago. So it would be natural to call a next one 1.4.4, except enough change seems to be in the works to justify at least 1.5.0.

Objections?

-Chap
_______________________________________________
Pljava-dev mailing list
Pljava-dev at lists.pgfoundry.org
http://lists.pgfoundry.org/mailman/listinfo/pljava-dev

---

From: chap at anastigmatix.net (Chapman Flack)
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 13:31:16 -0400

> What are the criteria to move from SNAPSHOT to release?

Excellent question ... TBH, it doesn't feel imminent to me yet.
It's been 0.0.2-SNAPSHOT for 2 1/2 years now, it could at least
be ${plausible.version}-SNAPSHOT for a bit longer while we get
things sorted.

Rough incomplete list of things, at least some of which ought to
get sorted before a release:

- there actually have been ~ 100 commits since 1.4.3, some of them
  fairly significant (mavenized, sql generation works, etc.).
  A change summary with the highlights from those commits would be
  worth having.

- some triage of the open issues and at least some of them fixed
  (including perhaps Peter Brewer's recent one on the mailing list)

- confirm successful build for $platform, $jvm, $pgversion for several
  combinations

- work out artifact deployment to a well-known maven repo?

- polishing build process and build docs. It still comes across rather
  like "run mvn install. yay! now, um, faff around with several vague
  next steps." I think part of that can be address by changes to the build
  /docs/ and part by changes to the build /process/ ... I'm planning to
  put some work into both.

It would probably be good to have a page on the docs site with a list
of things we think should or should not be done for the next release,
and then push it in different directions until it seems tolerable.
It's not there yet; I may as well create one while working on updating
docs.

-Chap

---

From: chap at anastigmatix.net (Chapman Flack)
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 00:11:52 -0400

> be ${plausible.version}-SNAPSHOT for a bit longer while we get

If there is no objection, I'll probably produce a pull request some
time soon that changes 0.0.2-SNAPSHOT in the pom to 1.5.0-SNAPSHOT.

-Chap

---

From: thomas at tada.se (Thomas Hallgren)
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 08:35:09 +0200

No objection from my end. Please go ahead and do that.

- thomas