Subject: more re: possible pljava / pgjdbc / pgjdbc-ng code sharing

From: Chapman Flack <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 23:47:27 -0400

Hi,

About a month ago I made a first inquiry on pljava, pgjdbc, and pgjdbc-ng
lists about opportunities to reduce code duplication among the projects
(largely because I've been hacking on PL/Java lately, and maintaining what
amounts to most of a separate fork of pgjdbc doesn't seem like an efficient
way to do it).

Not much has happened there yet (and I think there are other more pressing
needs in PL/Java before tackling that), but for anyone with an interest,
I have put a new page on the PL/Java wiki about one area that might not
be riveting or sexy, but where I think there's room to improve and the
code to do it could be largely shareable:

https://github.com/tada/pljava/wiki/Thoughts-on-logging

I apologize for the length - if you don't have 20 or 30 minutes for
reading right now, you'll probably prefer to read it some time when
you do. I didn't have a goal of writing something that long, but there
turn out to be a lot of parts to the story.

My reason for writing it *now* is not that I think it's necessarily the
most interesting, important, or pressing area needing work. Instead, I've
written it now because I think what I've proposed might need some
discussion and refinement, so by putting it out there early, maybe some
of that can happen in parallel with working on other important pressing
parts.

So, I will be interested in opinions....

Thanks,
-Chap

-- 
Sent via pgsql-jdbc mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-jdbc

---

From: Chapman Flack <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 19:17:37 -0500

On 10/27/15 23:47, Chapman Flack wrote:

> ...

It turns out to be more timely than I thought - PL/Pythonu is also
developing a patch (starting last month) to the same end.

http://postgresql.nabble.com/proposal-PL-Pythonu-function-ereport-td5869255.html

On their client side, psycopg2 already exposes a documented, supported
PostgreSQL-specific Diagnostics object.

http://initd.org/psycopg/docs/extensions.html#psycopg2.extensions.Diagnostics

-Chap