Subject: [Pljava-dev] Plea for 8.4 support

From: p.brewer at cornell.edu (Peter W. Brewer)
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 13:16:13 -0400

Hi all,

I see from the archives and various forums on the web that I am not the 
only one who would desperately like pljava support for PG8.4.  I see 
there is a fix in CVS so is there any chance the developers can make a 
new release?  I would be *extremely* grateful!

I put in a request to Debian/Ubuntu to get a package in the repositories 
but the maintainer is not responding.  The existing pljava in Ubuntu is 
unusable as it works against an earlier version of PG which is no longer 
supported.

I am perfectly happy to compile for myself on my own system, but I want 
to release a server application that relies on pljava.  I can't expect 
my users to manually compile dependencies!

Many thanks

Peter

---

From: thomas at tada.se (Thomas Hallgren)
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 00:26:53 +0200

Hi Peter,

A lot could be done to improve pljava in various ways. Support for 
generics, PostgreSQL 8.4, more secure trust etc. What's lacking is 
resources. So far, very few has come forward and offered any real help 
in terms of resources or funding. So to all of you PL/Java users that 
want 8.4 support or other improvements, any chance you can help out and 
make it happen?

Kind Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

On 09/24/2010 07:16 PM, Peter W. Brewer wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Pljava-dev mailing list
> Pljava-dev at pgfoundry.org
> http://pgfoundry.org/mailman/listinfo/pljava-dev
>

---

From: p.brewer at cornell.edu (Peter W. Brewer)
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 23:36:19 -0400

Hi Thomas,

My small group has contributed practically in the past, but unfortunately I no longer have anyone on my team that can help out in this way. Resources are often a problem with smaller open source projects.  What sort of funding do you think is required to get PG8.4 support?  Are you (or any other developer of this list) in a position to implement this for a bounty?

Regards

Peter 

________________________________________
From: pljava-dev-bounces at pgfoundry.org [pljava-dev-bounces at pgfoundry.org] On Behalf Of Thomas Hallgren [thomas at tada.se]
Sent: 24 September 2010 18:26
To: pljava-dev at pgfoundry.org
Subject: Re: [Pljava-dev] Plea for 8.4 support

Hi Peter,

Kind Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

---

From: lucas at mcsnw.com (Lucas Madar)
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 00:02:25 -0700

I've built packages for postgres 8.4 using the latest pljava CVS. These 
were built on ubuntu lucid, so they match the current postgres version 
there (8.4.4). I have no easy way to test them on an earlier distro. 
These just install the .jar and the .so, so proper configuration of the 
postgresql server is still necessary.

http://mcsnw.com/pljava/postgresql-8.4-pljava_1.4.0.20100925-1_amd64.deb
http://mcsnw.com/pljava/postgresql-8.4-pljava_1.4.0.20100925-1_i386.deb

(sources and such at http://mcsnw.com/pljava/)

If you're still offering a bounty... ;)

Enjoy,
Lucas

---

From: thomas at tada.se (Thomas Hallgren)
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 11:43:55 +0200

Hi Peter,

Personally, I have very little time to devote to this project but if 
someone else steps up, I promise to do what I can to get needed patches 
etc. into the source tree.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

---

From: p.brewer at cornell.edu (Peter Brewer)
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 10:50:05 -0400

Hi Lucas,

Awesome!  I didn't realise you were still using pljava.

Do the normal main stream deb packages do other configuration of 
postgres?  Can we propose these packages get pushed into the Ubuntu 
repositories?

Cheers

Pete

P.S. Bounty will be in the post shortly! ;-)

---

From: lucas at mcsnw.com (Lucas Madar)
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:58:15 -0700

I think something getting in the way of a new package is that there's 
no official release from the pl/java team. Could the current version be 
released as pljava-1.4.1? It looks like nothing has changed in CVS in 
over a year.

---

From: tim.clarke at manifest.co.uk (Tim Clarke)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 15:33:54 +0100

On 27/09/10 21:58, Lucas Madar wrote:
> no official release from the pl/java team. Could the current version
> be released as pljava-1.4.1? It looks like nothing has changed in CVS
> in over a year.

Time to raise the subject of PG9 support too?

-- 
Tim Clarke AMBCS
IT Director
Manifest
9 Freebournes Court
Newland Street
Witham, Essex
CM8 2BL
England
 
Phone: +44 1376 503500
Direct: +44 1376 504510
Fax: +44 1376 503550
Email: tim.clarke at manifest.co.uk <mailto:tim.clarke at manifest.co.uk>
Web: http://www.manifest.co.uk
Skype: callto:tim.clarke

Manifest is the trading name of: Manifest Information Services Ltd: Registered in England Number 3401145 & The Manifest Voting Agency Ltd:
Registered in England Number 2920820. Registered Office at above address. VAT Registration Number: GB 700 1880 77
Copyright: This e-mail may contain confidential or legally privileged information.
If you are not the named addressee you must not use or disclose such information, instead please report it to: admin at manifest.co.uk 
Please see http://www.manifest.co.uk/legal/legal_notices.htm for further information.